Monday, January 14, 2013

Meal Planning for Baby

We had a really productive weekend here!  C's parents came to stay on Friday night and Saturday and were so much help around the house (the guys worked on TV/cable issues and Sharon and I cooked-thank you Sharon for doing sink-load after sink-load of dishes!)  We were so happy to have them here and to spend some time together.  On Friday night, we took them to our favorite Rocky River restaurant Sweet Melissa and it did not disappoint!  Odds are good that if you come to visit, we will take you to Sweet Melissa for dinner :)



One of the projects on my list this week was to create some meals to stick in the freezer for when Baby Kimmet makes his or her arrival in a few short weeks!  I thought it may be helpful to list the steps we went through and some of the recipes

1. Start with a list of what you want to make
2. Source ingredients (grocery shop, raid freezer/pantry).  I didn't do the best with this and we made three trips to the store but that's okay...I'll do better next time.
3. Plan out recipes to be efficient.  For example, a couple of recipes started with a base of sauteed ground beef with onions so I made all of the beef together and then divided it out for the individual recipes.  Same went for sausage-cooked all in one pan and then divided it out when I needed it.
4. Make recipes and LABEL before placing in freezer (unless you are okay with a mystery meal!)-I just use a Sharpie marker on the foil lid to label.  Since these meals went right into our freezer, I didn't worry about adding baking instructions but if you are making for someone else, that would be necessary.
5.  One last tip, there are tons of recipes out there and you may want to stick with tried-and-true or be adventurous and make new things.  I only made meals we've had before and like.  I made a few things that my husband likes and I don't make on a regular basis-now he can't wait to dig into these!

The final result-11 meals tucked away in the freezer!



So what's on our list?

Meatloaf-to be made
Waffles-Double batch
White Chicken Chili-to be made
Green Bean Casserole-to be made
Bread Dough-to be made
Sheppard's Pie with mashed cauliflower topping
Lea's Ham and Corn Chowder
Italian Stuffed Peppers (I added spinach to the filling this time)
Cheeseburger/Hash brown Casserole
Qunioa Broccoli Chicken Casserole- (from Annie Eats)
Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup
Stuffed Shells
No Bake Energy Bites
Date-Brownie Bites

What are some of your favorite freezer meals?  How to do you plan for a busy time?

2 comments:

Aunt Sandy said...

Sonya, you are THE WOMAN!!! Being organized doesn't seem to be in my vocabulary.Sometimes that is not at all good. I was a little better when I was working. All of those meals sound delish! I sure was disapointed I couldn't make it up with Sharon & Steve. The bug never developed into much of anything, but no sense in taking chances for any of you to get sick. Have a good week!

Unknown said...

Sandy,

Thanks :) I have had to work on being this organized, I feel like I should have more prepared :). We would love to see you soon!